Saturday, June 6, 2009

STUBBORN Husbands and Directions


STUBBORN: unreasonably or perversely unyielding; performed or carried on in an unyielding, obstinate, or persistent manner; difficult to handle, manage, or treat.


Today we went to the USA vs Honduras Soccer Game at Soldier's Field. I told my husband, "Let's park where we usually do and walk." He did not want to do this as he said it was too far. I couldn't believe it because we have been taking incredibly long walks lately. Well, when we got to Soldier Field parking lot and saw that we would have to walk as far as we would have if he listened to me, he agreed to turn around and go to where I originally planned, only this wasted 30 minutes turning around. However,
as we were doing this, we got to see the bus which had the US National Team on it! It was a fun, brisk walk....all the excitement, crowds, and anticipation of the game. Even better, we actually won. There were over 50,000 people there, and it seemed like 3/4 of them were Honduran supporters though the screams for the US were overwhelming.

Then came the walk back. My husband was in a big darn hurry. He wouldn't listen to me about directions, he just kept walking, with me trailing behind like a newborn duck. I knew he was going the wrong way, but he just kept going. How embarassing being the only 2 people going against the traffic of the crowds. Somehow he got into McCormick Place. I didn't get to the door he was entering fast enough, and it closed right in front of me. I was on a deserted street. I immediately began pounding my head off, and he came back and opened it up. It got worse, we were in this building surrounded by concrete walls, and I kept thinking we shouldn't be in there and someone is going to see us on their cameras and come and shoot us. We got on freight elevators and went up and down. Finally, we found a window and saw where we were. The only way out was through emergency exits and he said, "Well you ready?" I was gearing up for the sound of alarms when I saw this door and said, "How about this?" He opened it, and there we were-right where we should have been in the first place. See what happens when men decide to listen! The return trip was twice as long as the trip there, and I have blisters to prove it!

1 comment: